Broken (This, #1)

Broken (This, #1) - J.B. McGee As a debut novel this was a nice short read. The story begins with Gabby as she I getting ready to attend her cousins wedding. Gabby is young, shy and a bit insecure. She has a past that did a number on her and she isn’t quite over that yet. At the wedding she meets a handsome stranger, one of the ushers who sets her on fire from the small touch of her hand on his arm. Could it be that he feels the same thing? Bradley Banks, Mr. Tall Dark and oh so sexy feels an instant attraction to Gabby but is it something she can believe and let herself feel as well?"Oh, she loved weddings and longed for the day she would have her own. The day when she would be kissed like that by a man who wouldn’t leave her, a man who would promise to love her, to make it his mission to worship and cherish her for the rest of his life."The story gave me a bit of whiplash trying to keep up with the alternating POV’s as they were random and sporadic. One minute you are with Bradley, then Gabby and then Sam…I had to stop and re-read a few section to get a hold of where, what and who I was reading. The alternating time line helped to give and understanding of Gabby’s past and what makes her so cautious with her love and her heart. The background story is heart breaking. The betrayal that Gabby goes through with Ian lets the reader know why she is cautious with Bradley. The promise she makes to her mother on her death bed gives Gabby obstacles to overcome with her love life but the conviction she has to the promise is admirable. Overall, Broken is a sweet story of having a shadowed past and what it can do to you in your future if you don’t deal with it. I liked Gabby and could identify with her easily enough to get passed the many POV’s and Bradley is lovely. I want to know more about him, his past is intriguing and worth a look into. We did not get much of him in this book. I look forward to the next book to see if they can overcome their issues and have to heal themselves to experience THIS! "I have tried to get you off my mind for the entire summer. I know that we don’t really know each other. I had to see if I saw you again, if I touched you again, if this, this feeling would still be here."