The Sea of Tranquility: A Novel

The Sea of Tranquility: A Novel - Katja Millay Back in November a lovely friend of mine gifted me a book. At that time I was in a major funk and just couldn’t read at all. Flash forward four months to me slowly getting my reading mojo back and I decided to open the book and dig in. Was I prepared for what I was getting myself into? Hell No. Did I love where I would end up? You bet your sweet ass I did. I am not sure I can do this book justice with a review so I am going to do what I do best. Ramble about why I loved it. If we had a telescope, I could show you the Sea of Tranquility. The Sea of Tranquility starts off with an ominous prologue. One that had me opening my eyes wide and eager to turn the page. What I found in that first chapter had me hooked. Did I mention I started this book at midnight? I had to force myself to put it away and go to sleep after the first chapter and holy hell reading the first page from Josh’s POV? Yeah, we get both and I couldn’t be happier.We know from Chapter 1 that something has happened to Nastya Kashnikov; she is angry, she is hurt and she wants revenge. Why? Who? What the hell happened? These questioned nagged at me from the beginning and I had to find out. Then…then we meet Josh Fucking Bennett. What is up with Josh and his invisible force field that keep people away from him? Why does he want to be left alone? Wait? Does he want to be left alone? After our introductions the story begins to unfold. There is no rush in this tale. There is no telling you how you should feel. There is no need. The writing of this book is flawless, seamless and brilliant. Pages are filled with beautiful words woven together in ways that had me smiling, placing my hand on my chest, gasping, laughing and having a bad case of insta love with this book. This is a story of two individuals who have been wronged in different ways; two people who have had their world torn apart, shattered and don’t know how to put it together again so they just keep moving forward. It is told with so much emotion that it gripped me by the shirt, dragged me into it without looking back to simply ask “You with me kid?” It didn’t have to; I couldn’t put this book down if I tried. Trust me, I am writing this on 3hrs of sleep. I tried but they say you pick your battles and this was one I was more than willing to lose. Carrying luggage under my eyes seems to be a good look for me. I think I am the one who’s disappointed. I know that she’s just a little bit less mine than she was a few minutes ago. Without giving anything away, without taking anything from this I will tell you simply to read it. If you haven’t done so, do it now. If you have already, you must know how I feel. There is so much I want to say. SO much that I want to tell you about. The secrets, the feelings; OH MY the feelings! There were so many times that I just stopped reading, I had to put my Nook down and take a breath. Moments when Josh says, “I wanted her to see you.” or Nastya saying, “You didn’t lie.” Great Googly Moogly. A few short words and my heart is a mess. My heart, yeah it was also ripped out of my chest a few times. Lying in my bed, sobbing at 1am next to my husband who had to be at work in 5 short hours trying desperately not to wake him up but I couldn’t stop crying. I admit to being a crier but this was Charlie Brown open mouth style crying; that my friend is the sign of a good book. A great author has the capability to drag emotions from you. Make you feel what the characters are going through and I did every damn step of the way. I am still doing it as I write this, thinking about the scenes, the words…sigh. The loud sounds make it impossible to hear the soft ones and the soft ones are the ones you have to be afraid of. The Sea of Tranquility is a beautiful book; a book about loss, love, forgiveness, redemption, family, anger and healing. I am so happy that I read this when I did; I was in the perfect place to open up and let this story, these characters sink into my soul. They are there and aren’t leaving anytime soon. It’s a dream about second chances. The narrator doesn’t respect the beauty of life and the world around her, so it crushes her into the ground and once she’s dead, she realizes everything she took for granted and didn’t see right in front of her while she was alive. She’s begging for another chance to live again so she can appreciate it this time. And does she get that chance?