God Shaped Hole

God-Shaped Hole - Tiffanie DeBartolo "Dawn makes a sound. If you listen closely right as the sun starts to come up, you’ll hear it. It’s like the echo of birth; silence, followed by a gentle push, moans, and then the sloppy deluge of life. On good days I like it because it reminds me that I am alive. On bad days it makes me feel like dust." For a first novel this was amazing. Absolutely gorgeous with words which spill off the page like poetry. I would love to be inside the authors head to have these thoughts, these phrases that stay inside my head and resonate in my soul. Once again I am blown away by the words of Tiffanie DeBartolo. I knew going into this book that it would be an emotional read and I was not let down. Having read How to Kill a Rock Star first, I had an idea of what I would be in store for and while this had similarities to HTKARS it was different, it was its own story. I can’t compare the two. "Seeking a friend for the end of the world.I couldn’t have put it better myself. Except to add one question: Where the fuck have you been all my life?" Beatrice answers a random ad from the LA Weekly and meets Jacob Grace. Jacob, the soul searching philosophical writer who intrigues “Trixie” as he will call her, from the moment their eyes meet. The instant attraction with a couple is usually unbelievable for me but with these two, it works. I won’t call this a love story; though love is present this for me was more about life. A life quest if you will; "We’re all searching for something to fill up what I like to call that big, God-shaped hole in our souls." The love story adds a dimension that is needed and yet isn’t the whole story. The complexity of relationships and how we deal with them really is the backbone where the love story is simply the heart. Beatrice and Jacob have a relationship that caters to the things that bring them together, music, books and their strange but endearing families and friends. I love that it was set in the Los Angeles/Santa Monica area; the essence was rightly captured down to the fact that the 405 Freeway is indeed HELL! I can’t forget the music in this book either. There is so much I want to say about this book but will not spoil it. I just want to gush, jump up and down and cry at everything that happens. From Jacob looking up at a window standing in the middle of the street, to Mangoes, Pete Townsend, love, hate, heartbreak, all the way to Needles and to a little Victorian house my heart was left shattered by the range of emotions I felt."I wanted to be enough to fill the universe inside of Jacob Grace. But I guessed that no matter how strong it was, love alone couldn’t turn a speck of dust in to a galaxy of stars." God Shaped Hole is one of those books you NEED to read and experience. I took my time reading this so that every word could be savored and stored away. It hasn’t left me, Jacob and Trixie haven’t left me and I cannot let them go. I could tell by the look on Jacob's face that he found me amusing. I kept talking. "So far, I've discovered four things that make life worth living for me. My work is one of them.""What are the other three?" Jacob wanted to know. "Music, books, and sex," I said. "Not necessarily in that order." His eyebrows rose an inch and he smirked. "What else do you need?"