That First Kiss (Night Calls, #2) - J.C. Valentine Rating: 4.5 starsI am a person who gets on a genre kick. I find one that I fall in love with and immerse myself in it completely. It’s hard to come out of with my OCD but when a book comes along that takes me out of that genre and has me up until the wee hours of the morning to finish it. I dare say it’s a damn good book. I have said it before; I don’t stay up that late for just any book, even though it’s fun to tease my husband that I am up with another man. Anyway…That First Kiss was a breath of fresh air. I had the privilege of reading [b:Stranded|16125520|Stranded (Night Calls, #1)|J.C. Valentine|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1351954758s/16125520.jpg|21948662],the novella before this. It’s not needed to read it first but I would recommend it for the simple pleasure of knowing Felix and Poppy’s story and getting to see them once again. So, we meet Piper Donovan as she is being interviewed for a new position, a position that can seriously make or break her current living situation. “So would you say that you work well with others?”Piper nodded enthusiastically. “Oh, yes. I haven’t met a person yet that has been able to get me riled.” Um, are you sure about that Piper? After landing a position with Bookish Temptations (that name was the only thing that bugged me about this book) Piper goes out with her girl friends to celebrate with one central goal, to get drunk and get laid. I adore that Piper is a WOMAN, she is not some little girl who is unaware or afraid of sex. Piper is an adult, living in a grown up world where she owns her sexuality and if a one night stand is what she wants it is what she is going to get and her friends will make damn sure about that. What else are best girlfriends for than to look after you wants and needs.“Seriously, if you don’t go over there and scoop up that hottie one of us will.” Sheila motioned to herself and the others. “Believe me, if you don’t want him, one of us will be more than willing to take one for the team. Besides, you need to get laid.” When Piper catches the eye of man across the dance floor she is instantly attracted but with a turn of her head he disappears, sigh, oh well the night must go on. The girls head out to burn off the drinks with a bit of dancing; Piper feels hands on her hips and gets into the bump and grind (come on...a little R. Kelly never hurt anyone, he is still trapped in the closet after all) and upon a spin she comes face to face with HIM! The man had two perfect dimples that she had the urge to lick. She didn’t of course, because that would be creepy, but she could do whatever she wanted in her mind, and she was licking his face like it was the last creamsicle on the planet. Well now. I do declare! Our feisty Piper heads off for a bit of fun with Mr. Sexy Dimples and ends up with an altering kiss at the end of a little counter action…that first kiss. Oh boy. As Piper heads into work for her first day she is ready to take on the ego inflated author who blows through assistants as fast as Charlie Sheen blows through brain cells. Oh no, say it ain’t so…her new “second boss” the one she has to work side by side closely with is none other than Mr. Sexy Dimples himself, aka Tate Larson. Poor Piper, if it wasn’t bad enough to see a one night stand in the broad daylight to have it be this man? Oh I felt for her, I did. The relationship between Piper and Tate is strained to say the least. He is well, Tate and pretty much an ass and she is Piper just trying to do her best to keep her job and her head above water. What doesn’t help is the sexual tension between these two. Piper wants Tate but won’t give in. Tate wants Piper but won’t give in…they drove me nuts most of the time but had some of the funniest scenes and goodness there were a few instances where I had to kick my foot out of the covers to cool off they got so damn hot. It’s been a while since a standard romance could do that to me. Thank you Ms. Valentine for allowing me to have faith in this genre again, I had thought it long gone. The problem was – and if she was being completely honest with herself – as much as she detested Tate Larson, she was finding it more and more difficult every day to say no to him. Tate Larson was going to be the death of her, but oh what a way to die. Mr. Tate Larson, you are one head strong man with a tongue of gold. Some of the things that come out of your mouth make it justifiable to slap you silly but then you come out with these words, these oh so sexy words that had me melting. “What are you doing?” Piper flattened herself against the door as Tate tilted his head toward her. “Thinking,” he said distracted. “About what?” Her heart pounded and she was finding it harder to breathe. His lips whispered across hers. “Kissing you.” He dragged his lips down the slope of her jaw to her neck. “Tasting you.” When he reached the curve of her shoulder his hand dipped between her legs and cupped her. “Fucking you,” he whispered…Um...yeah. What was I saying? Oh yes, Tate and that filthy, deletacable mouth of his. Yeah, that was just one of the reasons I fell for that man. This is one of the others, just one.Damn, but her smile was fucking gorgeous. Just seeing her smile caused his own to stretch across his face and his worries to disappear as if they had never existed. Watching these two fight their attraction, then give in, then fight it again only to give in AGAIN (ahem - Las Vegas hotel room - just saying.) was a great ride that I would gladly take again. Piper and Tate are a match made in frustrating heaven but seeing them grow in their relationship was so much fun. There really is a match out there for everyone even if they drive you nuts and no, I am not talking about stage five clinger nuts, Sheila. That First Kiss was a fun read, a book you can curl up and get lost in, smile at, gush over, fawn over and route for the couple to finally get it together so they can BE together. I simply adored this story; this boy meets girl have a one night stand and are thrust together by fate. Sounds cliché but the author does a great job of telling a sweet and sexy love story of two stubborn as hell individuals who finally give into what they want. ARC and review copy provided by the author.