Appetizers - Ivan Rusilko, Everly Drummond I seem to be on a roll answering 'whys?' today so here goes. This book was a big disappointment for me. I had waited a long time to read it, loving they synopsis and the prequels were great. I had grabbed a nice glass of Cabernet Sauvignon and settled in to read it. Very soon into the story I was not enjoying it as much as my glass of wine. The story was flat, I learned WAY too much about Dr. Ivan (what he was wearing, driving, seeing, hearing, feeling, smelling, picking...), I remember very little about Jaden's appearance other than she was tall. Was she taller than him? If this was real life I think she may have been. Oh well. I have no problem with sex right out of the gate but I didn't feel it with these two. It was odd. Like seeing your grandparents go at it when you happen to walk in on accident. What bugged me more than the doctors strange inability to receive was the fact that being a Executive Chef at a Posh Miami eatery was treated like working the drive thru at Taco Bell. My best friend is a chef, that is some hardcore business there. Anyway. Again, I wanted to like this so much, it just falls on that DNF shelf. It's not alone though. It has friends.