Love Lessons - Heidi Cullinan

There is a beauty in reading. Not only do we as readers get a chance to meet new characters and to get lost in their story but every reader experiences a book differently. Some view it simply as a voyeur, watching the players go about their script from beginning to end and some get immersed in the story as if it were actually happening. Me? I am a part of the latter; I become one with the story. The characters become real and I experience everything with them. Sometimes I feel the new of their situation and sometimes their situations hit so close to home that I can’t help the goose bumps that cover my flesh or the numerous nods that happen knowing exactly how they feel. Love Lessons is one of those books for me.

I had been waiting for this book; it sat on my Nook with the corner sash on the cover with “Pre-order” taunting and teasing me until I got that lovely email saying it was ready for download. I jumped on that faster than…well it was fast. Let’s just leave it at that.

Now, I have said that I am not a fan of the New Adult genre, but just like I once said I was not a fan of wine, yet later realized I am not a fan of cheap wine, I realize I am not a fan of the mainstream New Adult genre. But this? My boys who love boys and this story in particular…I am in love with this version of New Adult.

From the moment we meet Walter Lucas on the first page I knew being inside his head would be a ride to remember but what I didn’t realize is how much of me I would see in Walter. Now all of that aside…I adored this man. His thought process is amazing, from the way he tries to get out of things to the way he sees life complete with the struggles that are thrown at him. When he gets paired unexpectedly, by fate or the insane family values of Hope University, with Kelly Davidson…oh my. We get to see so many sides of Walter come out. He is forever on the hunt for talent to take home but when he sees that his new roomie has an affinity for the HEA ala Disney movies? Well that throws a wrench in Mr. Lucas’ plans in more ways than he could have ever imagined.

As he took in this delicious newbie roommate, however, dorm life didn’t seem so bad.

Kelly, oh my dear sweet Kelly. You and I need to go have lunch and I know the places where you wouldn’t have to worry about anything. The way you handle your new life at college, with the awkward orientation and finding out where you will be living, in a residence full of homophobic jocks! Ugh. I just wanted to hug you and well, just hug you.

He didn’t know how to handle being ostracized. This had never been his life. How had this happened?

How was he supposed to live like this?

How indeed, I guess it is a good thing you get to shack up with the one and only Walter Lucas! I could not imagine a better way for you to start out your academic career with all that he can teach you. Even though you do not see things in the same light or even the same movie theater, the journey you boys take had me up until 2am reading. I have said it many times; it takes a special book to keep me up that way. I could not stop reading where you and Walter were headed, I had to know and now that I do, I want to go back and read it all over again.

I find it most difficult to write about the books I adored this way, the ones that I fell so hard for and the ones that stay with me long after I read the last page. Love Lessons is that book for me right now. I want to share the quotes I have highlighted and yet at the same time, they are mine and if I share them they might disappear. Yeah, I am a hopeless romantic with a full on sentimental side that likes to keep books/characters that touch me deeply in my heart for some time and not let them out. I consider Walter and Kelly mine at the moment and I cannot let them go.

BUT I do want everyone to read this. I want the beautiful, sexy, sweet and endearing story of Walter Lucas and Kelly Davidson to be read by anyone who I see or talk to. I want those who have never read a m/m romance to read this! To see what it is I see when I watch two men meet and find that balance of who they are apart and together. To simply just fall in love with a story, to read a romance because at the end of the day, that is what it all is. Romance and I hopelessly love it.